Creating ArchiMate Diagram
- Create a new project with starting Agilian. Select File > New Project from the main menu.
- In the New Project dialog box, enter ArchiMate Model as project name. Click Create Blank Project button.
- Next, create an ArchiMate diagram by clicking on Requirement from the toolbar and selecting ArchiMate Diagram.
Defining business layer
The business layer offers products and services to external customers. It is usually drawn at the top part of diagram.
- Let's start drawing the diagram from the business layer. Create a business actor first. Select Business Actor from the diagram toolbar.
- Click on the diagram to create an actor. Name it as Client and press Enter to confirm editing.
- Create a business role from actor. Move the mouse over the Client actor, press its resource icon Assignment -> Business Role and drag it out. Conversely, you can create a role first, and then create the actor through the resource centric interface.
- Release the mouse button. Name the role as Insurant and press Enter to confirm.
- Create three business services - Claim Registration Service, Customer Information Service and Claims Payment Service. Similar to how you create business actor, create Business Service through the diagram toolbar and name it. Repeat thrice to create the three services.
- Create business process. Select Business Process from the diagram toolbar. Press and drag the mouse to form a rectangle in order to create it in a specific size. Release the mouse button to confirm the creation. Name the process Process.
- A business process can contain other processes. Create four presses inside the process: Register, Accept, Valuate and Pay respectively with pressing the resource icon Triggering -> Business Process to connect them one by one. Up till now, the diagram should look like this:
- Create a role Insurer through the resource icon Assignment -> Business Role of Process process.
- Press the resource icon Assignment -> Business Actor of Insurer role to create an actor Archisurance. This completes the business layer.
- Connect the Register process and Claim Registration Service service with Register process's resource icon Realization -> Business Process. Similarly, connect Accept and Valuate with Customer Information Service, Pay with Claims Payment Service. The business layer is done. Below is the completed diagram:
Defining application layer
The application layer supports business layer. It's usually drawn under the business layer.
- Select Application Service from the diagram toolbar and click on the diagram to create 3 services: Insurance Application Service, Customer data mutation Service and Premium Payment Service respectively.
- Application layer supports business layer. The service Insurance Application Service is used by the Register process in business layer. Therefore, press on the resource icon Used By -> Application Function and drag to the Register process to connect with it.
- Continue to connect Customer data mutation with Register, Premium Payment Service with Pay.
- Create three application components CRM System, Policy Data Management and Home & Away Financial Application respectively.
- Create an application service CIS from CRM System by pressing and dragging out the resource icon Realization -> Application Service.
- Similarly, create application service Claim InfoSery from Policy Data Management.
- Connect the components with services by realization, as shown in the image below:
Defining technology layer
The technology layer offers in infrastructural services for application layer. It is often placed at the bottom of diagram.
- Create two infrastructure services: Claim Files Service and Customer File Service through the diagram toolbar.
- Connect technology layer with application layer by pressing Claim Files Service's resource icon Used By -> Node and dragging it out to CRC System.
- On the other hand, connect Claim Files Services to Policy Data Management. Connect Customer File Service with CRC System and Policy Data Management.
- Create a node Mainframe through diagram toolbar.
If you want to present the node as a cube-like shape, right click on the node and select Presentation Options > Display Option > Show a Symbol from the pop-up menu.
The node becomes:
- Resize it to bigger for your convenience by dragging it its border.
- Create three system software inside Mainframe: CICS, DBMS, and Message Oueuing through diagram toolbar.
- Change the three software shapes to present as box instead of symbol. Right click on them and select Presentation Options > Display Option > Show as Box from the pop-up menu.
- Create a node named UNIX Server Farm through diagram toolbar. Resize it, so as to insert two identical devices: UNIX Server through diagram toolbar. Change these two devices to present as symbol by right clicking on them and selecting Presentation Options > Display Option > Show as Symbol from the pop-up menu.
- Create a device through Customer File Service's resource icon Realized by -> Device and change it to present as symbol by right clicking on them and selecting Presentation Options > Display Option > Show as Symbol from the pop-up menu. Name it as NAS File Server. The final diagram becomes the following the image:
Group enables you to further add logical divisions to elements in layers.
- Select Grouping from diagram toolbar. Note that it is placed under Relationships.
Scroll back to the top of the diagram where the business layer was modeled. Press and drag a group to contain client actor in insurant role. Name it as External Roles and Actors.
A group is created.
- Repeat the previous steps to create other groups. After all, draw a diagram like this one:
- ArchiMate Model.vpp