Organize Design and Implementation Model
This tutorial is aimed to introduce the concept of organizing project with the use of model. By reading this tutorial, you will learn how to create domain model, how to transcribe it into implementation model, and eventually compare their differences.
To create voice documentation:
- Create a new project named Order Processing.
- Open the Model Explorer.
- Right click on the project node and select Model > New Model... from the popup menu.
- In the Model Specification dialog box, specify Domain Model as model name. Click OK to confirm.
- Right click on the Domain Model node and select Diagram > UML Diagrams > Class Diagram from the popup menu.
- Develop a domain model class diagram like this:
- Having completed the domain model, we are going to transcribe it into implementation model. Right click on the diagram background and select Utilities > Transit to New Diagram... from the popup menu.
- In the Select Parent Model of New Diagram dialog box, select the project root node.
- Click New Model at the top right of dialog box.
- In the Model Specification dialog box, enter Implementation Model as model name. Click OK to confirm.
- Keep Implementation Model selected, click OK to confirm. This forms a new diagram with name Implementation Model, and looks the same as Domain Model. What we are going to do is to refine the design to reflect the implementation model.
- Delete the class Customer by selecting it, and hit the delete key.
- Rename class Order line to OrderLine.
- Create a class OrderController.
- Add an operation createOrder() : Order into OrderController.
Right click on the operation createOrder() : Order, select Show Dependencies from the popup menu.
After all, the implementation model should look like this:
- Let's refresh our memory on what we have changed for the class OrderLine. Select it, and click on the resource icon for Model Transitor.
Select Transit From > Domain Model.Order line from the popup menu.
This populates the domain model, and selected the former version of task OrderLine, which as named Order line.
- In order to identify all the refinements made in implementation model, we need to make use of the visual diff tool. Open visual diff by selecting Tools > Visual Diff from the main menu.
- In the Visual Diff dialog box, select Transitor as Strategy.
- We wanted to know the changes of model element details rather than view details such as shape coordinate. Therefore, next to Strategy we select Model Element to Compare.
- For the diagram pane on the right, keep Use Working Project selected, and pick up Implementation Model for the diagram to compare.
Now, we have obtained the differences between domain (left hand side) and implementation (right hand side) model, at the bottom pane.
Click on the node OrderController (New). From the tag (New), and from the diagram, we know that it is newly added in the implementation model.
- Select and expand the node Order line (Modified). We know that it is renamed.
- Select the node Customer (Deleted). We can see that it does not exist anymore in the implementation model.
Rate this Article
Click on one of the stars below to rate this article from 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest).
One Moment Please
Thanks for rating this article.