Interoperability is the ability to exchange information between two systems and to use the information that has been exchanged. Visual Paradigm supports interoperability with XML file. You can export project data to an XML, manipulate it externally, and feed the changes back to Visual Paradigm. In this chapter, you will see how to export XML file of whole project or specific diagram in project.
Exporting whole project to XML
- Select Project > Export > XML... from the toolbar.
- Specify the output destination.
- Check Export project to export everything in the project to XML or keep it unchecked and check the diagram(s) to export only their content.
- Click Export. Upon finishing, you can visit the output destination specified to obtain the XML.
Exporting active diagram to XML
- Right click on diagram and select Export > Export XML... from the popup menu.
- In the Export to XML window, specify the output destination which is a folder for containing the exported XML files and optionally the image files of diagrams.
- Click Export.
Overview of exporting XML
|Overview of Export XML window|
|Description of Export XML window|
Exporting diagrams to XML with command line interface
To export XML and images from a project through command line:
- Browse the scripts folder under the Visual Paradigm installation directory. For Mac users, you can find the scripts folder in the Visual Paradigm package by right clicking on it and then selecting Show Package Contents. Then look in Contents\Resources\app\scripts for the scripts folder.
- Copy the script file ExportXML and paste to the bin folder of Visual Paradigm installation directory.
- Start the command prompt.
- Navigate to the bin folder of Visual Paradigm installation directory.
- Execute the script by supplying the required parameters. For example:
ExportXML -project C:\Demo\Demo.vpp -out C:\Demo\Output
Below is a description of parameters:
Parameter Description Example -project Project path C:\Demo\Demo.vpp -out Folder for storing the exported XML and images C:\Demo\Output -diagram One or more diagrams to be exported "Diagram A" "Diagram B" -noimage Do not export image files for diagrams N/A -refmodel Whether to embed referenced projects' content inline true Parameters for ExportXML
The following resources may help you to learn more about the topic discussed in this page.
|Chapter 1. Export and Import XML||Table of Contents||2. Importing XML|