How to Import/Export ArchiMate Model Exchange File?
The Open Group ArchiMate Model Exchange Model Exchange File format is is a standard file format for the exchange of ArchiMate models between different tools. Visual Paradigm supports the importing and exporting of Open Group ArchiMate Model Exchange File. In this article we will show you how to do this.
Importing ArchiMate Model into Visual Paradigm
You can import OpenGroup ArchiMate Model Exchange File into Visual Paradigm. The steps below use an example available under opengroup.org to show you how the import process works. You can download the same example at https://www.opengroup.org/bookstore/catalog/C174.
- Select Project > Import > ArchiMate Model... from the application toolbar.
To import ArchiMate model
- Enter the filepath of the .xml file.
Entered filepath of the XML
- Click Import. When finished, find the imported diagrams in Project Browser. You can open Project Browser by selecting Project > Project Browser from the application toolbar.
- To open a diagram, double click on its thumbnail.
To open an imported diagram
The diagram is then opened in Visual Paradigm and you can continue working on it.
Diagram imported from ArchiMate Model Exchange File
Exporting ArchiMate Model into Visual Paradigm
You can export OpenGroup ArchiMate Model Exchange File from Visual Paradigm by performing the steps below.
- Select Project > Export > ArchiMate Model... from the main menu.
To export ArchiMate model
- Enter the filepath of the XML to export. Select if you want to export the entire project or a specific set of ArchiMate views / elements.
Entering filepath of the XML file
- Click Export.
- You can then import the exported file into other tools that support ArchiMate Model Exchange File.
ArchiMate file imported into antoher tool
The following resources may help you to learn more about the topic discussed in this page.
- What's New in ArchiMate 3? - An overview of changes in ArchiMate 3.0
- Full ArchiMate Viewpoints Guide (Examples Included) - A 'handbook' of ArchiMate Viewpoints, which lists and explains all to 23 example ArchiMate Viewpoints in detail
- ArchiMate 3.0.1 specification
- Learn more about Visual Paradigm's ArchiMate support
- Visual Paradigm on YouTube
|4. Migrating from Archi to Visual Paradigm||Table of Contents||6. Customizing ArchiMate language|