To create use case from business process diagram:
- Download FireSafetyDepartment.vpp. You can also find this file at the bottom of this tutorial.
- Open the downloaded .vpp file in Visual Paradigm. To open a project, select Project > Open from the application toolbar.
- Depends on how your process model was created, sometimes a task or a sub-process can be 'big enough' to represent a business goal. Through reviewing your business process diagram you can identify the goals as use cases. Now, let's create a use case from the Select Inspection cases for next week task inside Regular Inspection To-be Process business process diagram. Right-click on the task and select Related Elements > Transit to New Use Case... from the popup menu.
- We first specify the Model for storing the use case. Click on ... next to the Parent Model field.
- In the Select Parent Model window, select the project node.
- Click New Model.
- Name the model as Use Case Model. Click OK.
- Click OK in the Select Parent Model window.
- Keep Transit Parent Lane as Actor selected. This will create actor based on the lane containing the task and link it to the generated use case.
- Click OK to proceed.
- In the Visualize Model Element window, keep Create new diagram selected. Name the diagram as Fire Safety Use Case Diagram.
- Click Create. A use case diagram will be created.
You can always trace between use case and task though the transit resource icon that appear at the bottom right of a shape.